Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Parker's First Day of Preschool

Today was Parker's first day of Nursery school. I helped to start a Waldorf School here in Fallbrook and today was the very first day with students.
I took the day off so that I could experience his special day with him.
Parker woke up right at 7:15 and was ready for breakfast. He ate 3 eggs (normally he just eats one). It was funny because Ryan made him his egg and then he asked for another one and then another one. He was so excited! I had laid out the clothes he had picked out for the first day (a black polo and jeans - just like daddy wears) and he brushed his teeth super fast so that he could put them on.
Once dressed, we all got ready and headed out the door. Ryan and Kera came too so that we could all be there to support him as a family.
He wanted to wear his backpack and carry his lunch basket down to the car. He looks kind of scared in this picture but he was really excited and kind of annoyed that I made him stop for a picture.

We all arrived at 8:30, changed into our inside slippers and put our lunch baskets on the shelf. There are 5 girls and 2 other boys in his class. 3 of the kids will be drop off and the other 3 have their moms stay with them. We are small but I am SOO happy about that!

There is one Waldorf trained teacher and one assistant. They are both wonderful people. I have been working with the teacher for about 3 years now in order to get this school started.


We played for about an hour and then cleaned up for a snack of brown rice and coconut oil. Parker wasn't so sure about it and barely tried any. All the other kids ate it without a fuss. I didn't know it but I think I have a picky eater. Oh boy! The assistant, Holly is a massage therapist, nutritionist, and a yoga instructor. She has decided to go into Waldorf teaching to bring all her passions to children. She will be preparing the snacks each day so I know Parker will be getting some tasty (and healthy) treats (if he will eat them).

After snack, the kids all went outside to play. They played in the play area and had a fun time carding wool for the balls that we were knitting together while we observed them playing. It felt good to feel like a stay at home mommy and just watch him play!

After outside time, we went inside for a story and then lunch. Parker did very well with all his little jars and his placemat. I wasn't so sure how he would take to his lunch in little jars but he did very well!

Parker eating his lunch with his teacher, Ms. Charlotte!

Here are some of the other kids with Holly, the assistant, preparing a meal of wooden food.
The day flew by, as soon as the kids started getting cranky it was time to go home. Parker really liked a little girl who he played with most of the day. He was sad to say good-bye to her.
We came home and he slept so well for his nap.

Later today, my parents, Ryan's parents, Nana and my aunt Tina came over for dinner and Parker got to share his special day. All he really wanted to talk about was the fact that there was another little boy who made a stick into a fishing pole. When we asked him about other parts of his day, he wasn't really into talking about them. I am so happy that I got to be there to see that he was having a good time!

Lots of fun and overall a very successful first day of school.
Let's just hope that next week, when I don't go with him, goes as well.

No comments: